Discernments and Realizations

September 29, 2008


Watching a movie really takes my heart pumps fast because of excitement, especially when it really catches my attention. This was my feeling when I watched the film "The Phantom of the Opera" last September 22 in the Arete Discussion, one of the activities in Philosophy Week. Many claimed that this was really a good movie. I have no clue at first how the story goes, but one thing was circling my mind this film is worthy to watch.


As the film was rolling, many thoughts came into my very imaginative mind. I thought that this would really scares me because it simply reflects in the title. But as the story goes, I realized that it was not all about horror or suspense. There was puzzle to be solved and many questions I started to conceptualize. Who was the Phantom? Is there really an opera ghost? How the people in the opera house deals with this Phantom of the Opera? These were some of the questions I would like to be answered but unfortunately these were left hanging because of the power supply problem.


Eagerness of knowing what happened in the end, I searched the summary in the web. I found the answers to some of my questions but I was not satisfied. Reading the synopsis of the story help me realized what was the essence at all. It was how the characters played their roles and these roles portrayed different type of personality that we people could relate to, especially when it comes to love.


The character of the Phantom showed that we could do our own way to prove others what we feel. A love for someone was really a strong key to do an extraordinary thing. That was how he expressed her loved for Christine (the lead singer in the play). He did everything to win her heart. But sometimes there are things that we should let go if we feel that it is not meant for us. Based on what I've read in the web he set her free and let her be with Raoul(the childhood friend of Christine). I realized that letting go makes our personality grow stronger. And letting go doesn't mean that we have to forget the person we love, we just have to accept the fact that other person/s make/s them happy.


While Christine who was very amazing had made a strong belief that the phantom existed. She didn't let her stand go down. That was the spirit we must have in order to motivate ourselves in doing an action. if we know how to defend our claim, we just have to carry with us the justifications. We must not be easily persuaded by others of what they believed in. That was the character played by her. She rendered how to carry the love for the things she believed in.


The whole story covers how love could be express in different ways. Love for the opera, parents, friends, loved ones, beliefs and things we consider that determines our lives. All these were greatly interpreted by the characters. And I feel that these really be practiced in our everyday lives. (I hope I could finish watching the whole story.)


>>reflection paper ko to sa philosophy class namin.. just wanna share it with you.. (d ko yan napacheck kung tama lahat grammar..hehe pasensya nlang po..)


0 Comments: